Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Don't Be Afraid to Say "No"...




When you're trying for the things that you want, you tend to develop the mindset of getting involved in everything that comes your way.  You think, "I must take all opportunities because I never know which one may catapult me to my successful place."  You move through opportunity after opportunity still committed and determined, unfazed by the let-downs.  If what you really want comes by any means necessary, is every mean necessary?

Not one to just assume that I know, I try to remain open to almost everything.  I listen to every pitch, research every idea, and meet every person.  The truth is, you really never know how one great chance may turn out,  but at times, you may know more than you think you do.  A couple of weeks ago, I received a call from someone who wanted me to work with their company.  Instantly, my ears perked up and I bombarded them with questions.  Although, I told myself I'd take it slow, in my mind, I'd already seen the fruits of my labor and tasted success with them.  I felt that although it wouldn't be my forever, it would be a great addition to my growing list of skills and experience.  It would allow me to become familiar within a field that I had only dabbled in.  It would allow me to back up my natural talents with concrete experience...or so I thought.  I scheduled a time to speak with them the next morning along with the executives.  The next morning, I woke up already in the frame of mind of moving beyond this opportunity to the many that lie ahead of me.  With that, I made the phone call and began the lengthy process.  Something happened however.  The feeling of euphoria that I had previously experienced from the unknown, dissipated and I was left with a feeling that was an icy cold blow of reality.  This was not what I thought it would be...but...it was still a good opportunity.  What was I to do?  I pondered, examined, and reflected.  No matter how good I made it sound, there was something in the pit of my stomach that kept telling me to hold off.  As much as I tried to fight it, I eventually gave in and enveloped my God-given intuition.  I told them that I whole heartedly appreciated the opportunity, but I'd prefer to be respectful of them and both of our times and not waste it....and with that I moved on.  I got off of the phone, cross-examining myself as if I was on the supreme court's stand, but I ended up winning my case as I knew I made the right choice, by choosing to pass up that specific chance.
Some may be reading this shaking their heads, but as you navigate through life to find your dreams, at some point, you will learn that every "opportunity" isn't the opportunity for you.  There is a difference between remaining open versus spreading yourself thin and wasting time and energy on something that was never meant to push you down your path.  It's your job to know your needs, desires, and your worth.  When all of these things are aligned, you will learn to properly choose the things to devote your time to.  Don't be afraid to say "no" to something or someone.  Your hard and consistent work will never fail you.  At some point, at the right time, your opportunity will reward you by a knock on your door.  Be encouraged and keep pushing.  







Until next time...keep moving forward...

0 comments: