Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, April 1, 2011

I Wouldn't Change a Thing....Would You?


How many times have you heard the phrases “it’s all a part of your journey” or “struggle makes you stronger?” I can remember being told and also uttering these sayings to others. They sound inspiring and hold a great truth, but when asked if you’d really want to endure these struggles, most people would prefer the opposite. When you think of where you came from, where you are now, and where you’re lead to go, could you honestly say “I wouldn’t change a thing” or do you wish you could’ve fast forwarded to the “good part?”

This past Sunday, I watched Oprah Winfrey presents “Master Class.” On this show, she features entertainers, entrepreneurs, authors, philanthropists, etc. and has them share their stories in a new and eloquent way. She provides a platform for the people featured to be naked in their words, stories, and truths. Thankfully, that evening, I fell upon the episode where Oprah herself, was featured. I immediately knew that for the next hour, all phone calls would cease, all side conversations would end, and I’d immerse myself in everything that I could receive from her story. You see, I’m one of those people who doesn’t just take things at face value. I don’t do that with every single thing but I believe that there are some things that you must dig deeper into in order to receive the message and learn the lesson. As I watched Oprah share her story, I was in awe. Though I knew some of it, there was more that I didn’t know and never had I heard it in one long sitting. The entirety of it all saddened me in one moment and gave me chills in another. As she discussed her strained and dysfunctional relationship with her parents, her rape at 9 years old, her molestation that occurred over a number of years, and her pregnancy that ended unsuccessfully, my heart went out to the child in her who had to endure such heinous things. No matter how successful you become, it doesn’t eliminate the crimes of your youth. As she moved through her story with grace and fluidity, she came to a point where she began to sing a hymn. Now for the life of me, I can’t remember what the name of it was, but the message of the song was loud and clear: she wouldn’t change a thing. That hit me like a ton of bricks. As she sang that song, she smiled and hummed and subsequently embraced her past. Most of us seeing, hearing, and possibly living some of the most undesirable things, would have them erased if we could, but there she was, singing this hymn, that basically said that she would not take one experience away. I was in awe, but as quickly as it shocked me, is as quickly as I understood. Those past experiences created who she was today. Oprah shared that had she not gone through those things, she wouldn’t be as sympathetic, understanding, caring and empathetic as she is today. Her desire to touch people’s lives came from the very depths of those ugly moments in her life. Had it not been for then, there wouldn’t be “The Oprah Winfrey” now.

This really got me thinking of my own experiences. There have been so many in the past 5 years where I’ve looked up and said “really God? Why me?” There were periods of darkness that threatened to overshadow and take me out (I’ll save that for another post). Though my journey is far from over, when I look back to where I’ve come from, though I never imagined I could say it: I wouldn’t change a thing. I shock myself to say it, but it’s the truth. The things that I’ve faced and the situations I’ve had to endure were designed to break me down, mold me up, strengthen my spirit, and force to me to let go and let God. The past journeys are a set-up for the upcoming ones. Just because you experience turmoil in the past doesn’t mean you won’t experience it in the future. It means that you’ll be better prepared and will be able to handle it more effectively. Think about your very first school test. You were nervous, studied for a ridiculous amount of time, and probably couldn’t sleep. As you were taking it, you second and third guessed yourself, and skimmed over the test 100 times. After you passed your test (with flying colors I might add, lol), you breathed a sigh of relief. Now every test that followed it became a little easier…even though it was HARDER. Why was it easier? Because your previous experience had PREPARED you for what was to come. When you’re in that place, you realize that though the past wasn’t easy, you wouldn’t change a thing because it was created to make you who you will ultimately become.

This week, I encourage you to move through your journey. It may not always be easy, but your sweat, your tears, your anger, your frustration, your hardships, your journey, are unquestionably worth it.

Until next time...keep the forward movement....

0 comments: