Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, June 17, 2011

You're not lucky....You're PREPARED.

Luck.  Dictionary.com defines it as good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance. I started thinking about how often we rely on this so-called "luck."  The more I thought about it, the more I questioned it. How much do our accomplishments, desires, and daily happenings occur because of luck rather than preparation?

 

About a year and a half ago, I entered a constest.  I wanted to sharpen my public speaking skills, so I dove head first into my essay and video entry.  I wrote, proofed, and re-wrote my essay several times.  I filmed over a dozen entry videos and finally settled on one (that I still think is pretty awful, lol) and sent it in.  I made it past the first round, and answered a slew of additional questions from the judges.  A couple of weeks later, I was met with the awesome and quite surprising news that I won!  I received quite a few congratulatory messages including the phrase "you're so lucky!"  At the time, I didn't think much of it at all, but looking back now, I know that luck never had anything to do with it.  

A good friend of mine always wanted to attend law school.  Amongst other things, one of her main passions was law.  Well, life didn't necessarily go the way she planned.  Battling frustration and sadness, she made the conscious effort to push through the obstacles and keep working.  She studied, researched schools, sought out financial support, networked, prayed, and stayed focused.  She lined everything up and did all she could possibly do until there was nothing left to do but WAIT.  One day, she called me to to share her great news that she had been accepted into law school!  A couple of weeks ago, she completed her first year!  I know that so many people think that she's so lucky to be given the very thing that she's been hoping and praying for, but I think it's the furthest thing from luck.

I personally don't believe in luck.  I believe in full preparation meeting the perfect time and the sparks that ensue when those two things combine.  Things just don't happen out of nowhere.  You have to put forth effort and align your thoughts and actions all while waiting for the perfect time.   Oprah wrapped it up in one great sentence during her episode of Master's Class: "luck is preparation meeting the moment of opportunity".  She explains it perfectly below:



Above all else, God will align everything in your life and catapult you to where you need to be.  There's always a bigger hand at work.  Your job is to work and stay ready.  Your perfect moment will marry opportunity at the perfect time.

Until next time...keep the forward movement...

0 comments: