Support the Forward Movement!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

From Pits to Peaks....


Earlier this week, I was reading one of my many devotionals.  At times, I feel like I receive so much from these words and at other times, it's simply good and uplifting reading, but this one in particular stuck out to me.  The devotional was about getting through the rough times or "pits" in life, so to speak.  Everyone has a time when they feel like they're surrounded by darkness.  No matter how much you attempt to remain positive, there are times in life where you feel beat down and overwhelmed with the things that lie around you and the upcoming things that lie in front of you.  At that point, circumstances may feel insurmountable.  You may find yourself asking "when will things get better" or "why are these things constantly happening to me?"  This is what I read:  

"Pits come to strengthen us.  Our struggle to escape the darkness forces us to admit our insufficiency and search for power outside of our own."

Oftentimes, we wonder why we're in the struggle we're in and even though I can come up with many reasons why, in the midst of it, I honestly don't want to hear it.  This one line reminded me.  The pits or valleys of life really do strengthen us.  Think about a really tough situation or moment in time in your past.  In that moment, you may have been overwhelmed or frustrated and unsure of how you would come out of it, but eventually you got through it.  Fast forward to the present day, and if the same situation occurred, you wouldn't even bat an eye.  You'd know exactly what to do and it wouldn't feel as difficult.  Why; because you were strengthened and pruned through the situation.  Whether we know it or not, all of the difficult occurrences we face make us better.  They do indeed force us to take a look at ourselves, face and overcome our insecurities, and if you go through it successfully, become a better person.  

"We cannot really know just how bright the light is until we have spent time in the darkness."

In some situations, we are pushed so far to our brink, that we are forced to rely on no one else but God. God himself, will bring about situations that require us to lean only on Him.  What I've learned, especially as I've matured, is that our lives don't thrive when we only come to Him when we need something.  Our lives flourish when we make Him a part of our daily lives and build a solid relationship with Him.  

Lately, I've found that although I'm making strides in my life and have ushered this new year with some great changes, some things (according to my timeline, lol), seem to be taking their time; almost as if they have stalled.  In my frustration, I began to think that maybe certain things won't happen, but almost  immediately, I chose to change my perspective.  Often you'll hear "delay is not denial."  Just because something isn't happening right now doesn't mean it won't happen.  It's all about perspective.  Did you know that some things, even the things that are truly meant for you, could be a huge distraction if it enters your life a second too soon?  The person you're meant to be with, the promotion you're meant to have, the business that's meant to explode can be a major deterrent if you receive it before the appointed time.  When you think about it like that, you can find much more solace in waiting and growing in the meantime.  

"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship." -Louisa May Alcott

If you're going through a tough period in your life right now, I encourage you to change your perspective.  Instead of allowing frustration, worry, and anger to shut you down, strengthen your relationship with God, focus on growing within yourself, and prepare for all the great things to come, so that when the right time does appear, you'll be more than ready!  

Until next time....keep the forward movement....

 

0 comments: