Support the Forward Movement!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Haiti-Wrap Up!



My trip to Haiti was an experience that has left me with a lifetime of memories and I am elated that I went.  Before I went, a lot of people told me that I shouldn't go.  They told me that it wasn't the best time to go, it was very dangerous, and that I wouldn't get to enjoy the great parts of the country....boy were they wrong.  I'm glad that I followed my own mind.  True, it was dangerous and maybe not the best time to go in general, but it was my time to go.  I had never been there and for it to be first time there, the experience was rewarding.  I got to interact with children and with the people and see where my parents grew up.  One thing that I noticed while I was there was that no matter what, people kept living.  My people are so resilient and I envy their strength.  As I looked, I noticed that despite the obvious state, people laughed, danced to music, took care of their children and families, and continued to work.  I began to think of all the things that I allowed to stress me out in my life and they became insignificant.  Sometimes we get so caught up in our daily issues that we forget that it could be worse.  When you see things like this, you realize that your problems are sometimes not as big as you make them.  Being in that environment will make you, if you don't already have one, develop an attitude of gratitude.  
I was able to see the family that up until that point, I only heard of.  It's wierd to hear names of certain people all of your life, but if they were standing in front of you, you wouldn't know it was them.  It's like you know them, but you don't.  Then all of a sudden, you meet them and see the faces of your grandmother, grandfather, mother, father, sister, brother, etc.  Almost instantaneously, there is a warm comfort that settles within you.  It's a great feeling.
Yes, I saw the bad parts, but I also was able to experience breathtaking views and gorgeous neighborhoods with beautiful homes.  These are all the things that they don't want you to see.  People, with anything, like to dwell on the negative, and if all you know is what the news and media reports, then you don't know much.  They refuse to show the beauty, wealth, and potential that is very apparent in the country.  I even found myself shocked to see it and then I started wondering that if I, a woman of Haitian decent, was surprised by what I saw, then what do other cultures think since they are even more far removed than I?  The thought was unsettling, but all it takes a little education.  Learn things for yourself and don't just take someone's word on it.  Who's to say that they actually know what they're talking about.
All in all, my trip was an eye-opening experience for me and I'm glad that I went.  Up until I went, I was scared to go.  I've always been scared to go and had said that I never would and I was fine with that.  You can do two things with fear.  You can either choose to face it or let it control you.  One thing that I've learned is that when you choose to face a fear, you'll see that it's less scary than you made it.  You may actually enjoy it.  Last year, I faced my fear of public speaking and being on camera.  Now you'd have to pay me to stop talking or to get out of a video, lol.  It's time to stretch, people!  How will you ever know how far you can go it you're too afraid to stretch, even if it's just a little.  No matter what, whether it be a person, place, thing, or experience that you desire, go for it.  It will help shape who you are and who you'll become.
Thanks for joining me on my journey home!  I look forward to having you follow me all over the world (I LOVE traveling), lol!!!!!  Take a look at some photos below from the trip and check out some other things at the i2BELIEVE facebook fan page!!!




Until next time ...keep the forward movement...

0 comments: