Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Light of the Dark.....


Darkness. When one thinks of the dark, you think of nothingness. The darkness is seen as cold, frightening, and eerily blinding. What can you see in the dark? Most would say 'nothing' but the darkness can show you more than you think. It's really up to what you're willing to see.

A few nights ago, my power went out. At first, I was startled. I grabbed my phone, feverishly dialed the electric company, and prepared to engage in a verbal war (dramatic, I know, lol). After much back and forth, and many promises that the problem is being worked on, I hung up and decided to accept my momentary fate. As I lay there in the stillness, I began to think. Everyday we are bombarded with the soundtrack of life. This playlist is filled with traffic noises, the humdrum beats of office machinery, the misery that lies in the news, and the negativity that spews from the mouth of so many people around you. The list goes on and on. If you notice, a lot of what surrounds us on a daily basis isn't the most positive and much of it you can't control. The only thing you can control is your reaction to it, but sometimes, the mere presence of the negative is exhausting. Couple those things with the ongoing issues in your personal life, and it can send your mind into overdrive. When you come home, there are another set of things that can trigger your thoughts. The tv, the radio, the phone, the computer...all of these things offer their two-cents on where your mind should be. And as much we may say that we need a mental time-out, we rarely get the chance to take one.

As I laid in the dark, I found no choice but to take my "time-out." In that time, I was forced to face my true thoughts. You know, the ones you run from throughout the day that always find a way to catch you at night; the ones that force you to face your truths. I had nowhere to run, so I didn't. In the dark, so much light was shed. It exposed the truly important things. It's difficult to see how trivial some things are until you have even less and with that realization, I became even more grateful. I began to thank God in the dark for the things He's done and given me, and for everything else that was on the way! Most importantly, I thanked Him that this was a momentary power lapse, versus some people who can only afford to live in the dark. The darkness for me that night became the light that exposed me to really see.

You may not have a power outage that forces you to be still, but it is in the quiet of those dark moments that you really see. In the upcoming week, I urge you to create your own make-shift blackout. Don't run from your thoughts...fall into the arms of them. Remember the important things and be grateful for everything, good and bad, for the experiences of the bad provides you with the empiricism that allows for a better experience in the future, void of the same mistakes. Lay in the dark...and let the light in.

Until next time...keep the forward movement... 

0 comments: