Support the Forward Movement!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Choose What You Want in the Future....Now


"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

I was sitting in church Sunday morning and during the sermon, something was mentioned about choices.  I can't exactly remember the specifics, but it got my mind spinning.  I started thinking of all the decisions I've made in the past, good and bad, and how each one, individually, catapulted me to where I am today.  Oftentimes, we see where we are and if it's not in a good place, we blame it on life in general, but few of us really take the time to see that where we are now, is the direct reflection of all of the choices we've made.  As I sat there, I started thinking of the good and progressive choices that I've made.  I felt such pride in those choices and was happy that I made them.  Then I began to think about the negative choices that I've made.  I immediately whinced at the thought of them.  Mentally, I tried to run away from them and made up award-winning reasons to excuse my actions.  After I went through my mental rant, my sanity whispered "it's your fault.  You made that choice, no matter what the options were."  I rolled my eyes at that thought, but it was true....and I had to face that.

For the very first time, I took FULL  responsibility for my choices.  In the past, I told myself I did take responsibility, but I really didn't.  I made myself believe that there was no better choice, but this time, I finally knew it was all me.  I thought about the choices and actions I made in the past that got me the positive things that I had.  I wouldn't have gotten those things if I had chosen to either do the opposite or nothing at all.  Then, I traveled to the dark side and thought of the wrong decisions that took me to where I am.  How much different would my life be if I hadn't made that choice?  It's pointless to stress over that because A. I'll never know and B. there's nothing I can do to change that now.  What I can change are the choices I make from here on out.  If you are consistantly in the frame of mind that every single choice you make will determine your future, you'd choose more carefully.  With that in mind, I think of the endless possibilities and doors that I will open as soon as my choices coincide with that path. 

Think about your past choices.  Are you happy with where you are?  If you are, then that's wonderful, but a lot of people aren't.  Sit and think about the things that you could have done differently.  Do you see how they brought you to the place that you are?  Now what are you going to do differently?  Remember, the place that you're in now, is not the place that you have to be.  You just have to make that personal, executive decision and go from there.  I'll leave you with a few of my favorite quotes.

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise.”

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”

'There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.”

Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”



Until next time...keep the forward movement....

0 comments: