Support the Forward Movement!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

What you do doesn't define you....


I don't know what made me think of this, but my mind just randomly drifted to when I was 8 years old and I was talking to my mom.  I remember us being in the kitchen and she asking me to help her cook and I said "I don't want to mom."  She responded saying "you need to know how to cook so that you can cook for your husband when you get older and get married."  I went on to tell her how I'm not going to cook when I get married and my husband better deal with it because I won't be his slave.  When I think about that, I laugh and see how far I've come because I'm a grown woman now and don't feel that way at all.  A year later, at 9 years old, I suprised my family with dinner and have been cooking ever since.  I look forward to cooking for my husband one day too.  As I got older, I realized that cooking for my husband and family won't make me their slave, it would make me a wife and mother.  Even though I've grown up and see things differently, I've run into a lot of women that don't.  Some still object to it because they feel that if they do, that's all they'll ever do or be.

Thinking of that made me think of another thing that I and so many other people have a problem with in their lives.  As you get older, you find the need to define yourself and who you are.  One of the easiest ways to do this is to say what you do.  Even if it's only one small aspect, a job usually becomes your description and it weighs more than it should at times.  Now if you love what you're doing, this might be okay for you, but for a lot of people, depending on where they are in their lives, this may not be what they want to be known for.  

Not too long ago, whenever someone asked me what I did, I mumbled it and was so annoyed because it's not what I want.  It's not my passion, but it's my current reality.  I let that consume and frustrate me.  I know a lot of people who do the same.  I don't know when it happened but one day something clicked and I started thinking of it in another way.

The thing that I realized that eased my mind is that what you do DOESN'T define you. What you do is NOT who are you.  YOU are who you are.  Your passions, your talents, your desires, your ambition, and your ACTIONS define who you are.  These are the things that are and will continue to build your future....the very future that you'll be humbled with gratitude to have define you.

If you've noticed, successful people do a plethora of things, so don't feel like if you're doing one thing, you can't do something else equally as well if not more.  I used to think that I had to find one thing that interests me and run with it.  I'd find my thing and that's who I'd be, but I started finding that I was very interested in a quite a few things.  I'm taking it step by step, will eventually do all that I love and as much as I will love all I do, no one thing will ever fully describe me....or you.  We are complex creatures. 


As I write this, I feel encouraged and hope you feel that way as well.  Remember who you are and focus on the things and life you're going to obtain.  Don't allow your current reality to project your future.  Remember it's not what you do...it's who you truly are


To help you ecsape reality, (we all need to sometimes, lol), I'll give you a suggestion.  For over 2 months, I've been taking between 15-30 minutes before I go to sleep to lay down in silence or with music and visualize where I want to be and the goals I'm going to accomplish.  Immerse yourself into what you are thinking and be sure to allow yourself to feel, smile, laugh, cry and truly enjoy your thoughts.  The more you embrace it, the more real it will feel, and in turn fuel your energy toward obtaining those things.  Take a look at the video below, listen while you visualize, and enjoy....




Until next time...keep the forward movement...

0 comments: