Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Romance Lives On...


Some say romance is dead, but I disagree.  I think it's very much alive and well, it just depends on how important it is to you.  A few weeks back, I sat and listened to some of the older people in my family talk about their childhood.  One of the things they mentioned was courting.  One of the men in the room discussed writing a letter and leaving it on the porch of the young lady he liked.  His face lit up at the memory.  A woman in the room brought up a tape of love songs she received and how special that made her feel.  Another one of the men, mentioned carrying his girlfriend's groceries to her home every time she went.  There was such an overwhelming sense of love in that room.  I wanted to take it and wrap myself up in it like a warm blanket.  As I left that function with my family, it made me wonder how important romance is.

From the conversations I've had, my generation believes in it as well.  When conversing with my friends, oftentimes, it's the small, thoughtful, and romantic things that we women crave.  When we talk about the sweetest things we've ever experienced, it usually falls along the lines of a sweet gesture that is so impactful it lingers on the mind, for days, months, years, and sometimes, forever.  Some people, especially women, find it so simple to be romantic and do those type of things, but from what I've observed, a lot of men don't know what to do.  The same thing goes for women as well.  I'm going to share 3 of my thoughts/ideas for both sides.  Fellas: this is what I want.  I can honestly say that a lot of women would probably appreciate the same, but don't assume because everyone is different.  Ladies: this is what I would do or have already done, but just like I said to the guys, everyone is different, so taylor my suggestions to the person you're with. 

Fellas: 
  • Flowers never hurt.  Every now and then, you'll find a woman that doesn't like them, but for the most part, women will love this.  I know I do. 
  • Personally, I appreciate a nice card.  Of course, you have to write something thoughtful in it....don't just leave it to Hallmark, lol.  This is especially effective if you're not physically close to them.  A card can't take the place of you being there, but it's a wonderful thing to receive something as simple as a card to remind you that you're missed and in someone's thoughts.
  •  Maybe it's the result of having read too many romance novels, but setting the scene screams romance.  I've always craved a man who would fill a room full of candles, flowers, soft music, and other 'stuff' lol.  To have someone go through that preparation to make sure that you are amazed, means a lot.  It's the little things...and you when you combine a whole bunch of little things, it adds up to something major.  It'll also be something that she will never forget.
Ladies:
  • Guys like nice things too.  Sometimes, we forget that and assume because they're men, that we can't gush all over them.  We can....just in our own way.  For example, you can make dinner, light some candles, and change into something that he'll appreciate, lol.  It's simple, but sweet.
  • Guys are usually responsible for paying and planning, but we can do it too.  You wouldn't imagine how happy they'd be if you told them that you were taking them out to dinner.  It allows them to relax and be taken out and treated for once and they appreciate it.  If you want to take on the task of planning something, then go ahead!  They'll love that too.
  • Romance comes in all forms and helping them with one of their many tasks can be quite sexy too.  Oftentimes, women try to get out of the way of what their guy is doing, but I know for a fact, that he'll appreciate you helping him and being a part of his team.  To up the romance factor, treat him to a relaxing massage after the two of you are done.
Everyone deserves to be treated well, and it should be easy to do when you really care about someone.  With all that happens in life, it's comforting to know that there's someone who'll take the little things into account to make you feel special.  From generation to generation, whether it's done by a collection of love songs on a tape, a romantic dinner, or an international excursion, it will never, ever, go out of style. 

Until next time...keep the forward movement...

0 comments: