Support the Forward Movement!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Are You Speaking Self-Defeating Thoughts?


A month ago I was online and ran into a great opportunity.  Instantly, I bacame so excited at the possibility of actually getting this opportunity.  I was thinking "I could do this.  It would be so great for me!"  A few minutes later, for whatever reason, I decided against trying for this contest.  I don't know when it happened or what it was, but I looked at the magnitude of the opportunity and thought about how many people were probably going to enter as well, and then felt that it was pointless.  With that, what could've been a great conquest, turned into a memory.

A few weeks later, I was online again and I ran across an entry of someone who entered the same contest.  As I watched the contestant's video, I said to myself "I could do way better than that.  The entry isn't even that great."  Something inside of me said "the nerve of you to be judging someone else when you didn't even try yourself."  Right then is when I decided to enter the contest.

This battle within myself got me thinking.  Why is it that we talk ourselves out of things?  Sometimes, you can be your biggest enemy and that is the reason why you don't achieve things.  Regardless of if you realize it or not, you can speak self-defeating thoughts into your life and discourage yourself from becoming who you are destined to be.  True, each feat you attempt to conquer may seem impossible, but if everyone felt that way, no one would achieve a thing.  Discoveries wouldn't be made, lives couldn't be saved, and all the successful/famous people of the world, would be common and unimpactful.  Right then, I told myself that I'd never be the one to deny myself the ability to dare to dream.  It's hard enough having other people and factors discourage you from doing things, but don't allow yourself to become another negative influence.  Surround yourself with positive people and positive things.  Instead of saying "I can't", ask yourself "why can't I?"  The answer is that you can and it's as simple as that.  Next time, you think that something is too big for you, tackle it anyway.  You're more successful in the failure of your trying, than in the coward and safety of your complacency.  You will become exactly what you believe you can be, so DREAM BIG!

Until next time...keep the forward movement...

0 comments: