Support the Forward Movement!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Before it's too late...



A couple of days ago, I was sitting with my family just talking and laughing.  As we joked around, I looked over at my parents and a quick thought flashed in my mind: what if something happened to them tomorrow and they were no longer here?  Instantaneously, my heart sank.  At that moment, I told myself that I needed to enjoy these moments and cherish them.  I always think this, but I need to remember this when I'm not in a good mood, or we're in an argument, or things are not that great.  It's easy to cherish people when you're happy, but once something goes wrong or there's a disagreement, you find yourself not talking to them and allowing what was a minute situation to completely spiral.


With this in mind, I began thinking of the past few months.  The end of the year was tough because I knew five people who passed away in December alone!  Not to mention, there was a death in my family in May.  On top of that, the earthquake in Haiti shook my family to the core.  Not only was it a reality check for us, but it was for the whole world.  It really displayed the fact that life is so precious and could be taken at any moment, so you should live it to the fullest and appreciate your family, friends, spouses, etc.


To further hone in on this lesson that I'd been receiving the past few days, I got a call from someone today with bad news about a family member of hers.  The person was in the hospital and it was so sudden.  Immediately my heart sunk because I know the pain that she and her family are going through.  I prayed for them and currently am waiting on the good news I know she's going to call me with.


With all of this in mind, I started wondering why people wait until something terrible happens before they put things into perspective.  It's so cliche' and almost nauseating to me that to some people, a person doesn't matter as much, until they're gone.  It almost makes your pain when they are gone, hypocritcal.  If you don't appreciate them while they're in your lives, when they're gone, nothing you feel will matter.  It's too late.


As you read this, I urge to really think about how you would feel if someone you love or care about was no longer here before you had a chance to truly express what they mean to you.  If you really think of this, you'll appreciate them more and communicate more whether that be calling, texting, emailing, messaging, skyping, social networks, etc.  There are so many ways to keep in touch now a days that it's scary, lol, but that means NO EXCUSES.  There's always a way to make your presence, love, appreciation, gratitude, and adoration felt.  Don't wait with the thoughts of: there's always tomorrow, because there isn't always tomorrow.  Don't think:  I'll tell them later, because there may not be a later.  For those of you who show love and appreciation through words, SAY THEM!  For those who show love and appreciation through action, SHOW IT!  Don't wait!  


The message is loud and clear:  Treasure the people you love/care about, and treasure the moments, so you can treasure the memories....


The song below is one of my favorite Brandy songs.  It's called "Right Here."  It basically says that no matter what, I'll be right here with you.  Enjoy.....





Until next time...keep the forward movement....

0 comments: