Support the Forward Movement!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Check yourself....



Great travesties force us to realize how trivial and insignificant things are.  For example, a few  nights ago, my phone stopped working.  Just like that it stopped ringing and receiving messages, so in true fashion, I panicked, because like a lot of people now a days, your phone is your access to the world.  After a few minutes, I decided to just go to sleep and deal with it in the morning.  The very next day, I called, argued, and got a new phone shipped to me.  I repeatedly requested wanting a red phone.  I said it a few times to make sure that I received a red one and guess what?  I did not get the red one!  I got an ugly grayish & silver one.  I was so annoyed when I saw that!  That's not what I wanted and they were about to find out.  As I reached for the phone to call them, something stopped me.  All of a sudden, I was so ashamed of myself.  How dare I be upset about not getting the right color phone when people all over the place don't have food, water, or electricity?  With the devastation that has occurred this week in Haiti, dead bodies are laying on the side of the road and adults and helpless children are walking around aimelessly.  I felt so bad.  At that moment, I was grateful for the fact that I even had a phone.  I focused on the fact that one day I ask for a phone and the very next day I receieve it.  No muss, no fuss.  It helped me to realize that in life you have to choose your battles and in the greater scheme of things, the color of my phone is not worth it or even that important.  Sometimes we get caught up in insignificant things and forget to appreciate the good.  Don't focus on the one tiny black speck on the huge white wall.  There is so much more to see.  The next time you find yourself about to get upset over something so small, just check yourself......

Until next time....keep the forward movement....

0 comments: