Support the Forward Movement!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Don't judge a book by its cover.....Be encouraged!


If we could only see what's really going on in other people's lives....not the beneath the surface of what we see, but what we never get a chance to see.  The things that we are completely unaware of their existance.  The stuff that would change your whole outlook on them, if you knew.

Me and my friends always and I mean, ALWAYS are discussing where we are in life, our dreams and desires, and where we aim to be.  Up until a short while ago, we discussed our lives in comparison to other people.  You know the people you knew growing up or the people you went to college with.  No matter how we saw it, we always saw that our lives were not as good, or as successful, or as happy.  We kept bringing up certain names and certain situations and were baffled by the fact that we were nowhere near where we wanted to be or what our definition of success was, but these people who didn't work really hard, partied way too much, didn't give back, didn't think about others, had no belief system, etc. appeared to be more happy than we.  Now we knew we weren't perfect, but we just couldn't understand why it seemed that certain people had it so easy and we didn't.  I can't even tell you when, but within a moment, I started thinking differently.

I began thinking of all that I had been through in the past few years and remembered one very frustrating thing.  I felt the need to continue to appear to be as perfect and as well put-together as I always am.  You see, I've always been a perfectionist and ever since I was a kid, everyone expected that from me.  You knew you could always depend on me and I'd do what I'd say.  I always received good grades, and was very socially involved.  I've been writing for years and could provide a fabulous list of great things I planned to accomplish, so everyone just knew I had it all together.  When you show yourself a certain way, this is what people come to expect.  A huge part of my personality is to keep things in, so you'd never know if something was wrong or not.  The actress in me would never allow it.  So in a way, I helped to fuel the persona that everyone expected.  That's where the frustration came from.  No matter what I was going through, I couldn't even express it because people didn't know what to do with it, so I kept it all to myself.  This got me thinking: what if people were looking at me in the same way that my friends and I looked at them?

At that moment things kind of clicked for me and helped me to change the way I thought of things.  As far as everyone is concerned, I'm great and I'm not frustrated or have things going on that I'm not happy with and so on and so forth.  They would be feeling the same way thinking that everything was perfect for me not knowing what I went through and what it took to get me past that point.  The truth is, when you look at someone, celebrity or not, you should never just see what you see.  The fact of the matter is, you've never read a page of their story, nor have they read a page of yours.  Who's to say, that they are happy?  Who's to say that you are?  There are so many people out there with what appears to be the perfect life and they are literally dying on the inside.  The same thing goes for you.  People don't know what you've been through or are going through and vice versa.

As I write this, I am so thankful for the struggle.  It builds character and stretches you as a person.  I'm thinking so differently than I was a week ago, a month ago, a year ago and it's thanks to the pages in my book.  Because of those pages, there is now this beautiful cover.  I encourage you to not look at others but to focus and work on yourself.  Before you know it, everything you went through will have strengthened you for the beautiful cover that protects the pages of your book....

Until next time...keep the forward movement....


0 comments: